Family Law Attorney
Position: Family Law Attorney
Summary: The Staff Attorney will provide legal representation to low-income clients who are survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault. This position is ideal for a family law attorney with a minimum of 3 years of family law litigation experience looking to join a collegial, public interest law firm. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
About the Organization: Founded in 1973, the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice provides holistic, client-centered, trauma-informed legal services and empowers individuals to secure long-term solutions that result in stable families, violence free homes, and strong communities. At LACLJ, we believe that legal education, advocacy and representation can be the difference between adversity and opportunity and that meaningful access to justice improves lives. Our mission is to fight for the rights of vulnerable families and advocate for a more just legal system and our vision is a strong community where families are safe, stable and free from injustice.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Case Assessment and Strategy Development
• Conducts initial interviews to assess cases for services
• Conducts investigation and research to assess claims
• Recommends level of service and develops case strategy
• Drafts legal documents, conducts discovery, and case management
• Provides oral advocacy and negotiation in hearings and trials
• Connects clients to non-legal supportive services as needed
• Ensures timely and accurate case file maintenance, including electronic records
• Maintains good working relationship with clients through frequent, proactive
• Meets case deadlines and calendar court events and client visits
• Effectively delegates tasks to designated staff, and reviews all work for accuracy and completion
• Delivers community outreach presentations
• Collects and reports case-related data
• Completes grant-required forms
Other Duties: Adheres to standards of professional responsibility; Adheres to all LACLJ policies and procedures, including the standards set forth in the Performance and Evaluation Standards; Participates in mandatory staff trainings and meetings; Other duties as assigned.
• J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
• Membership in good standing in the California Bar
• Two years of litigation experience in Family Law
• Fluency in written and spoken Spanish
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• 3 years of litigation experience
• Previous experience working with domestic violence or sexual assault survivors
• Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people
• Ability to work successfully with people from diverse backgrounds
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
• Work will be performed in an office setting at a work station.
• This position requires concentration on tasks while facing distractions.
• This position requires attendance at meetings, both in and outside the LACLJ offices.
• Use of office machines such as computers, photocopiers, and telephones.
• Ability to work at and travel between the LACLJ main office at 5301 Whittier Blvd. in East Los Angeles and other locations such as various Los Angeles Superior Court locations and DPSS offices.
Salary and Benefits: Salary ranges from $52,000 to $60,000 per year depending on experience. LACLJ offers full-time staff a generous benefits package and paid vacation leave including 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser), dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Marilyn Florentino, Office Administrator, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Click here to view a pdf of this job post.
Assistant Director of Development
Job Title: Assistant Director of Development
Position Summary: The Assistant Director of Development will support the Executive Director in meeting LACLJ’s private development goals. The position is responsible for overseeing the agency’s spring annual fundraising gala and fall peer-to-peer fundraising campaign. The position will also assist the Executive Director in expanding LACLJ’s individual giving and corporate outreach programs. Finally, the position will help facilitate board engagement and assist LACLJ’s senior team in volunteer management.
About the Organization: Located in East Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) is an emerging leader in the provision of legal services to immigrant survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.The 30-person nonprofit law firm assists clients in obtaining restraining and custody orders, immigration relief and other legal remedies available to them as a result of surviving domestic or sexual violence. LACLJ also provides clients with wraparound supportive services, which include education, referrals, safety planning, and accompaniment through its Community Care Advocacy Program.
- Lead planning and implementation of LACLJ’s annual 400-person fundraising dinner, including all marketing, fundraising and event coordination activities in collaboration with the Executive Director, volunteer planning committee and LACLJ support staff.
- Lead planning and implementation of annual peer-to-peer fundraising campaign, including recruitment and management of individual fundraisers, creation of campaign theme and messaging, and management of online fundraising tool.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director in developing major gift opportunities and managing a portfolio of individual and corporate major donor prospects.
- Assist the Executive Director in developing and maintaining an active and productive relationship with LACLJ’s Board of Directors and Leadership Council.
- Support LACLJ’s senior team in recruiting, onboarding and managing pro bono attorneys, volunteers and interns.
- Oversee development and dissemination of all fundraising communications and quarterly newsletter.
- Oversee prospect management, including maintaining an updated and accurate donor database (Network for Good), and providing reports to the Executive Director and Board of Directors as needed.
- Demonstrated passion for issues related to survivors of domestic and sexual violence, immigrants and women.
- Four years of experience in development, including experience with individual and corporate giving programs.
- Prior event planning experience required.
- Strong interpersonal and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of volunteer management practices.
- Knowledge of Network for Good, WordPress and MailChimp preferred.
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish a plus
Salary and Benefits: The Assistant Director of Development position is an exempt position with an annual salary range of $60,000 to $75,000 per year depending on experience. LACLJ offers a generous benefits package, a 35-hour workweek, paid vacation and 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser), dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance for staff and 80% coverage for dependents. Staff is provided the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA). LACLJ is an eligible nonprofit employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Assistant Director of Development” in the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To view a PDF of this job post, please click here.
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, disability, or sexual orientation.
Please click, here to view other ways you can get involved at LACLJ.
Last updated: August 2018.