Family Law Attorney
Position: Attorney-Family Law
Summary: The Attorney will provide legal representation to low-income survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking. This position will primarily provide representation to survivors in restraining and custody order hearings, as well as other civil legal matters as needed, and is ideal for an attorney with prior family law or comparable civil litigation experience.
About the Organization: Located in East Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) is an emerging leader in the provision of legal services to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking. The 30-person nonprofit law firm assists clients in obtaining restraining and custody orders, immigration relief and other legal remedies available to them as a result of surviving domestic violence, sexual assault or human trafficking. LACLJ also provides clients with wraparound supportive services, which include education, referrals, safety planning, and accompaniment through its Community Care Advocacy Program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Case Assessment and Strategy Development
- Conduct holistic initial interviews to assess cases for services
- Conduct investigation and research to assess claims
- Recommend level of service and develops case strategy
- Represent survivors in restraining and custody order hearings, as well as other civil legal matters as needed
- Draft legal documents, conducts discovery, and case management
- Provide oral advocacy and negotiation in hearings and trials
- Connect clients to non-legal supportive services as needed
- Ensure timely and accurate case file maintenance, including electronic records
- Maintain good working relationship with clients through frequent, proactive communication
- Meet case deadlines and calendar court events and client visits
- Effectively delegate tasks to designated staff, and review all work for accuracy and completion
- Deliver community outreach presentations
- Collect and reports case-related data
- Complete grant-required forms
Other Duties: Adhere to standards of professional responsibility; Adhere to all LACLJ policies and procedures, including the standards set forth in the Performance and Evaluation Standards; Participate in mandatory staff trainings and meetings; Other duties as assigned.
- D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Membership in good standing in the California Bar
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- 2 years of family law or litigation experience
- Previous experience working with domestic violence or sexual assault survivors
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people
- Ability to work successfully with people from diverse backgrounds
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work will be performed in an office setting at a work
- This position requires concentration on tasks while facing
- This position requires attendance at meetings, both in and outside the LACLJ
- Use of office machines such as computers, photocopiers, and
- Ability to work at and travel between the LACLJ main office at 5301 Whittier in East Los Angeles and other locations such as various Los Angeles Superior Court locations and DPSS offices.
Salary and Benefits: Salary ranges from $54,000 to $65,000 per year depending on experience. LACLJ offers full-time staff a generous benefits package and paid vacation leave including 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser), dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Marilyn Florentino, Office Administrator, via email to email@example.com with the position title in the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To view a PDF of this job post, please click here.
Job Title: Legal Assistant
Position Summary: The Legal Assistant position is a full-time hourly position that assists public interest attorneys with a full range of administrative support including scheduling, calendar management, case file organization, front desk/reception support and document management.
About the Organization: Located in East Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) is an emerging leader in the provision of legal services to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking. The 30-person nonprofit law firm assists clients in obtaining restraining and custody orders, immigration relief and other legal remedies available to them as a result of surviving domestic violence, sexual assault or human trafficking. LACLJ also provides clients with wraparound supportive services, which include education, referrals, safety planning, and accompaniment, through its Community Care Advocacy Program.
- Prepares, organizes, and maintains physical and digital client case and eligibility files
- Track case documents and make them available and easily accessible to attorneys and paralegals
- Scan, copy and or process client documents
- Fax and mail documents; coordinate document pick-ups and drop-offs with LACLJ court filing services
- Assist with the preparation of trial binders and exhibits; assist with conference and material preparation
- Checks voice mail, answer phones, schedule appointments and take accurate and detailed messages
- Screens incoming calls and written correspondence and respond independently when possible
- Greets clients and walk-ins
- Ensures accurate and timely tracking of all messages, mail and documents
- Translate documents from Spanish to English (and vice versa) as needed
- Handle all other administrative duties as assigned
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with high volume customer service or telephone skills
- Experience working with low-income persons, immigrants and/or other underserved, underrepresented populations
- Previous experience working with domestic violence survivors
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest work
- Associate’s Degree with 2 years of experience providing administrative support in an office environment OR Bachelor’s Degree with 1 year of work/volunteer experience
- Ability to utilize advanced features of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), etc.
- Ability to use standard office equipment (computers, fax, scanner, copier, postage machine, etc.)
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Work will be performed in an office setting at a work station.
- This position requires the ability to concentrate on tasks while facing distractions.
- Work will require the use of office machines such as computers, photocopiers and telephones.
- The Legal Assistant will be required to attend meetings.
Salary and Benefits: The Legal Assistant is a non-exempt full time position with an annual salary range of $35,000 to $40,000 per year depending on experience. LACLJ offers a generous benefits package, a 35-hour workweek, paid vacation leave and sick leave and 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser), dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance. Staff also has the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA).
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To view a PDF of this job posting, please click here.
ABOUT LOS ANGELES CENTER FOR LAW AND JUSTICE
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) secures justice for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault and empowers them to create their own future. Our vision is a strong community where families are safe, stable and free from injustice.
With a vision for continuing on its excellent reputation, LACLJ is seeking a strategic, relationship-focused Executive Director to lead the organization into the next stage of growth. The ideal candidate is a proactive leader, with demonstrated experience in bringing in diverse sources of revenue, including increased fundraising, foundation and corporate giving, greater community engagement and the creation of a successful moves management plan. With a visionary leader, LACLJ is uniquely positioned to create long-lasting change and provide greater leadership in the community.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the overall management, fundraising, financials and strategy of LACLJ, taking a lead role in implementing the Strategic Plan. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, communicative and focused on achievement and results. This person must be an expert in creating and implementing strategic plans, building a culture of philanthropy, and strong in staff leadership and governance. The ideal candidate is fiscally accountable, skilled in building community relationships and committed to support and further LACLJ’s mission, with a passion for serving our community.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Fundraising and Community Engagement
- Oversee and partner with the Board and staff in creating and implementing a robust and diverse fundraising strategy, inclusive of major donors, corporations, foundations and events.
- Develop strategic alliances with local officials and potential client populations to increase the visibility of LACLJ.
- Serve as the main spokesperson for the organization, seeking out opportunities to engage with the community through public events and relevant conferences.
- Build a culture of philanthropy with Board and staff aligned in initiatives to fundraise for programming.
Staff Leadership and Board
- Partner with the Board and staff to implement the current strategic plan including measurable outcomes and milestones to ensure effective operations that achieve the overall mission and vision of the agency.
- Support operations and overall administration by serving as a liaison between the Board and staff and supporting the Board to fulfill their governance function.
- Lead the senior leadership team to deliver quality and efficient services, supporting the organization’s mission and principles.
- Foster an agency culture that attracts, motivates and retains a dynamic staff of top-quality employees.
- Provide the opportunity and manage a plan for staff development as a part of their growth within LACLJ.
- Oversee all financial matters of LACLJ, including budgeting, forecasting and developing financial plans and procedures to ensure alignment with vision and strategy.
- Work with the Finance Committee to provide the Board with appropriate financial reports.
- Ensure compliance on contractual obligations and agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree required, and experience practicing law, preferred.
- A minimum of 7-years experience in a senior leadership role at a nonprofit agency.
- Directly managed a budget of more than $3 million.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, including individual giving, major gifts, foundations, grants, corporate, and events.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead staff and work harmoniously and openly with a Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience overseeing financial matters, including audits, reporting, and budgeting.
- A passion for the mission of LACLJ with a desire to further support and empower survivors of domestic abuse and sexual assault.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vacation, PTO, and 403(b).
Envision Consulting was retained by Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice to conduct the search for their incoming Executive Director.
To apply for this job, please click here.
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, disability, or sexual orientation.
Please click, here to view other ways you can get involved at LACLJ.
Last updated: June 2019.