Obtaining Immigration Status and Ending the Fear of Deportation

If you are an immigrant and you have been harmed by a family member or someone else in your life, you may be eligible to apply for immigration relief: obtain a work permit, lawful permanent residency (green card) and  citizenship.

Reaching out for help can be scary, but you may have legal options that can help you remain in the United States, together with your family and without fear of deportation. 

The person who harmed you may tell you that you don’t have any rights in the United States, especially if you are undocumented, but that is not true. 

Laws exist to protect people who have survived crimes and they help survivors get immigration relief separate from the person who harmed you.   

Some of the different forms of immigration programs available to those who have been harmed include:

  • VAWA – For survivors of domestic violence where the person who caused the harm is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and your spouse, parent or adult child 
  • U Visa – For survivors of violent crime who cooperate with law enforcement
  • T Visa – For survivors of human trafficking, people who were forced or coerced to provide labor or sexual services
  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) – For children and young adults up to age 21 who have been abused, abandoned or neglected
  • Adjustment of Status – For VAWA, U Visa, T Visa, and SIJS petitioners who are eligible to obtain lawful permanent residency
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) – For young people who arrived in the U.S. as children and attended school here
  • Removal Defense – For survivors who are or have been in removal proceedings before an Immigration Judge

LACLJ’s legal services can help you take important steps to gain stability, in addition to representing you in your immigration matters. If you are struggling financially, in certain cases you may become eligible for public benefits to help you and your family, even before you are eligible to obtain a work permitOnce certain immigration petitions are approved, you can get work permit, valid social security number and an unrestricted driver’s license or state-issued identification card.  

If you are a survivor of domestic violence, sexual assault or human trafficking, LACLJ attorneys may be able to help you with your legal needs. To apply for services please click here. 

You Have Rights

Everyone living in the United States has rights, regardless of their immigration status. Please review the information below for additional resources and to learn more about your rights and the ways you can help keep yourself, your family, and the entire immigrant community as safe as possible from deportation.